The Acorn

• January 11Congratulations to Quinton Morton-Robertson on scoring his 1,000 point in Boys Basketball

Mr. Cox’s Return to RHS

Trinity Adams

Throughout the years RHS has seen many people come and go; this year we welcome back RHS alumni Andrew Cox. Cox teaches World Civ I to 9th graders and Social Studies to 7th graders. Cox grew up in Radford and attended Radford University. He also said that he has wanted to teach at RHS ever since he decided to become a teacher. He did not expect that a spot would open up here at RHS and thought he would have to find a job somewhere else. However, Cox didn’t always want to be a teacher. He began college as a business major but decided teaching was a better profession for him. He was inspired to become a teacher by teachers of his own, including Mr. Freeman our assistant principal.

Cox said that he has always heard that teaching was a noble profession and now knows that is true. To Cox, teaching is a very worthy and beneficial profession, and he couldn’t be happier about his job. Ever since Cox decided to become a teacher he has wanted to stay in Radford to teach. He never thought that he would be able to teach at Radford so soon. As a former student of RHS, Cox had many teachers that still teach here now. Cox says it’s a great experience to work with former teachers. This helps Cox gain wisdom and being able to listen to their input on teaching is very beneficial.

Cox is involved with many other thing in RHS including: FCA, assistant baseball coach, and history club. If Cox could give one piece of advice to someone that wanted to be a teacher it would be to go into education because you really want to. You have to have the right mindset of wanting to passionate of what you want to do and how you want to help people get the best learning experience. Cox also said that you also have to get involved with the lives of your students and find a content area that you are passionate about. Cox said, “Take it one day at a time and do your job with excellence.”