The Acorn

• February 16Boys Basketball is undefeated as they go into Regional tournament play

• January 11Congratulations to Quinton Morton-Robertson on scoring his 1,000 point in Boys Basketball

A Small Town Community Comes Together To Support Their Own

#grindeasy

Abby Joy Photography

Abby Joy Photography

Devin C Cranwell

Eric Burdette is an RHS senior who was diagnosed with stage 2 Hodgkin Lymphoma on Thursday, September 7. Eric is becoming known in the community due to his positive outlook and his never quit attitude towards the adversities that he is facing. Eric has touched many lives in his high school career, whether it be his fellow football players, his friends, or his teachers. That’s why it should come as no surprise that our community would come together to support him.

Within Radford High School, there have been fundraiser t-shirts, purple day in recognition of the color representing Hodgkin lymphoma, and other student-led demonstrations of support for one of their own. The school support began immediately; the volleyball team honored him with a purple theme and 50/50 raffle donation at their home game on the day of his diagnosis.  At the first football game after Eric’s diagnosis, the team wore purple ribbons on cleats, socks, helmets, and coaches’ hats.  Cynthia Vargas, a fellow student, has made a slide show, which was shown on the school’s Bobcat Pride,  dedicated to Eric to make him feel better on some of his bad days. The local organization Students vs. Cancer raises money to provide support to local students and families who are battling cancer.

Many things are being done to help raise money and awareness about what is going on. Several local groups have been selling wristbands to raise money, and some local stores are even setting up donation jars to support Eric.  On September 29, there was a hot dog meal before the game at Giles, and over $2,000 in proceeds will go to Eric’s family. There have also been car window stickers made in support of Eric. Abby Joy photography donated a senior portrait session for Eric.  It is likely there will be more community events to come to benefit this family. Be on the lookout for future opportunities to provide financial and emotional support to Eric and his family.