Susanna Marshall

Welcome to Whale Day 2017!

Whale Day in Bobcat Country

Junior Bobcats learn about the importance of saving the whales

Blue whales, also known as Balaenoptera musculus, are labelled as an “endangered species” due to the whale harpooning that illegally takes place in the ocean. These majestic creatures are selfishly slayed for the benefit of major companies. They are used for oils, such as cooking oil, lamp oil, cosmetics and other various human uses. Previously, before whale hunting became a major issue, there were approximately 150,000-200,000 blue whales. Today, between 1,500-2,500 are left.

Susanna Marshall
Students and staff teamed up in order to collect 160 gallon jugs to display the enormous amount of water whales consume daily.

As part of the Radford High School tradition for almost 20 years, RHS hosted its annual “Whale Day on Thursday, April 13th.” This day has previously been organized and structured by former biology teacher Frank Taylor, however this year, due to his retirement, first year biology teacher, Jackie Daly took on the responsibility of making the day a success. Buses of second graders were brought over from McHarg to tour the gym which featured an (almost) life sized blue whale which the students were able to enter and tour.

Susanna Marshall
“Save the whales! Save the whales!” exclaim these second grade girls.

Each second grader was given a worksheet and clipboard to follow along with as they made their way around to each station. At the sound of Ms. Daly’s whistle, the eager junior Bobcats were notified to rotate their way to the next station. Ms. Daly’s Biology 2 students had posters and mini lessons prepared to teach kids the importance of respecting blue whales and to inform them of the magnificent creatures that they are.

Susanna Marshall
Nardo Bailey, Senior, teaches junior Bobcats.

Senior, Alex Miano, works as Ms. Daly’s lab assistant. He says the whale day preparations took over a month. “The goal for this day is to teach second graders about blue whales. They’re going extinct, and it’s important to inform the younger generations in order to stop it and prevent it from happening again,” she says.

Students were given “Whale Day” worksheets to follow along with.

Susanna Marshall

Nicole Bias, junior, gets down on eye level with the second graders.

Ms. Daly, the main planner of the day, examines student’s worksheets.
Mcharg students were fascinated by the whale harpoon model.
Bobcats boys listening intently, well, most of them!
Students tour the inside of the blow up blue whale.

Thanks to the hard work of Ms. Daly, her students, and the tradition carried on by Frank Taylor, whale day was yet another successful event at Radford High School. Not only was the younger generation able to learn about blue whales, but they were able to do so in a hands on and interactive way that. Junior Bobcats inevitably admire and emulate the older generations, which provides the perfect leeway for molding the future of our earth.

The Acorn • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in