The student news site of Radford High School
Back to Article
Back to Article

Why You Should Care About Climate Change

Provided by NASA.

Provided by NASA.

Provided by NASA.

Provided by NASA.

Right now, our planet is dying. It may not seem like climate change is an impending issue, and while it’s easy to turn a blind eye to our environment, we have to care more than past generations have. So many of our lawmakers have decided that instead of facing the issue now, they choose to spread willful ignorance propaganda to ensure their pockets stay swollen with the harmful, but profitable, corrupt businesses that spoil our environment. 97% of scientists agree that climate change is human-induced, and that the levels of carbon in the atmosphere are rising relentlessly. NASA reports “Ancient air bubbles trapped in ice enable us to step back in time and see what Earth’s atmosphere, and climate, were like in the distant past. They tell us that levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere are higher than they have been at any time in the past 400,000 years.”

When anyone informs you that there’s no way to tell that climate change is human-induced, when anyone says that climate change has always occurred, that right now the sea levels are lower than they’ve ever been; if anyone says that our global economy would collapse if we stopped using fossil fuels, know that climate change IS real, that it’s human-induced, and today, we stand on the threshold of a new geologic era, which some term the “Anthropocene”, one where the climate is very different to the one our ancestors knew.

The apparent great struggle of our generation will be deciphering fact and fiction. Our new administration plays around with fact, and unfortunately decides to keep the American people guessing, but climate change is something that we cannot ignore. As Time puts it, “I’m talking about the fossil fuel-funded, decades long, under-the-radar, public relations campaign that helped sow these doubts.” Like the tobacco industry has done for years, these myths separating the link between cancer and smoking by spreading fake science from shady fringe tanks, the professional doubters are insisting that “Global warming is part of a natural cycle.” It all sounds very conspiracy theory I know, but recognizing the issue and spreading awareness is the first step of fighting these professional deniers who spread doubt about facts that take years of research.

Perhaps the most clear depiction of carbon emissions’ and fossil fuels’ effect on climate change is this graph provided by NASA showing the change of CO2 over time. The spike since the 1950s can most certainly be attributed to humans and their effect on our environment. The carbon in the atmosphere has now surpassed 400 ppm (parts per million) for the first time in recorded history. During Earth’s warmer inter glacial periods, they hovered around 280 ppm, never even coming close the levels we’re seeking now. Most importantly, temperature and the amount of CO2 have always corresponded, and right now, the CO2 is forming a “hockey stick” on the graph just waiting for the temperature to catch up.

Need more evidence?  In its Fifth Assessment Report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a group of 1,300 independent scientific experts from countries all over the world under the auspices of the United Nations, concluded there’s a more than 95% probability that human activities over the past 50 years have warmed our planet, and that human-produced greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide have caused much of the observed increase in Earth’s temperatures over the past 50 years.

If you ever encounter a non-believer, a denier, a willful ignorant, as they’re being called these days. Here is a phenomenal website to help combat their weak arguments, because although the science is there, these arguments are spun by professional deniers.

The Acorn • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in