The student news site of Radford High School
Back to Article
Back to Article

Forensics: It’s Not Like The Science

Adri Newman

Forensics: It’s Not Like The Science

The RHS Forensics Team is back and ready to take action! With their first invitational on Saturday, February 4th, the bobcat speech team is in it to win it. This invitational will be held in Salem, Virginia, and is only the first step in this highly competitive season.

You may be asking yourself, “What exactly is Forensics?” We asked Adri Newman, Junior, what she thought forensics was. Her reply was, “Forensics is a public speaking and dramatic interpretation club where you can develop your presentation skills. The best part is the tight-knit community of your forensics family and of course, winning.”

Mrs. Tina Tapp, the long term coach of the team and former president of the Virginia Association of Speech, Debate, and Drama Coaches, has been coaching the forensics team for 22 years. Tapp was asked, Why do you coach forensics? She responded with,” It’s an activity that can truly make a difference in all students lives. A lot of people would rather die than speak in public, but when students can learn to speak well in front of others, it will propel them forward into any career. When you coach an activity like this, you get to know your students on a different level and I feel like the students on my team are like my children. I love seeing them grow into strong capable amazing people.”

The Radford High School forensics team received 3rd place overall at their state competition last year, with individual titles such as Danielle Lee; 2nd Place Prose, Ateka Gichana; 3rd Place Impromptu, Madailein Adams; 2nd Place Serious Dramatic Interpretation, and McKenzie Pappas; 3rd Place Storytelling. With an upcoming Conference, Regional, and State Competition, The Radford Bobcats hope to go even farther this year!

Tina Tapp
The girls of last year’s Forensics’ team poses for a picture.

The Acorn • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in