The student news site of Radford High School

Provided by Public Domain

Women’s History Month Playlist

With Women’s History Month fast approaching here are some girl power anthems that get us in the mood to celebrate sisterhood.

Mitski- “Townie”

Photo Provided by Public Domain

Mitski has been gaining popularity with a wider audience for a while now with her Indie brand of alternative rock. With crooning vocals and her awe-inspiring guitar skill, Mitski’s songs discuss important themes. Racial struggle, female oppression, and mental health battles being the focus of many of her songs. Mitski’s song “Townie” was released with her 2014 album Bury Me at Makeout Creek. In “Townie,” Mitski discusses the struggles of growing up as a girl and feeling pressured by romantic endeavors and parental pressure.

Bikini Kill-

Photo Provided by Public Domain

“Rebel Girl”

All female band from the 90’s punk scene in Seattle, Bikini Kill is a staple for any young grunge babe with a passion for patriarchy smashing. Any and all of Bikini Kill’s numerous songs and albums belong on this playlist, but we included “Rebel Girl,” a classic and transparently pro girl power feminist anthem, being that it’s a perfect gateway song into punk.

Lesley Gore-

Photo Provided by Public Domain

“You Don’t Own Me”

Recently covered by pop artist Grace the original “You Don’t Own Me” was written by John Madera and David White and recorded by Lesley Gore in 1963. Gore was a pop singer from the 60’s who released other singles such as “It’s My Party” and “Judy’s Turn To Cry.” Claiming its spot in second place right behind the Beatles iconic “I Want To Hold Your Hand,” it remained for three weeks. Influential in second wave feminism, “You don’t own me,” appeals to the independent women in everyone.

Beyonce-

Photo Provided by Public Domain

“Flawless”

Beyonce is the undisputed Queen of modern feminist music. With such hits as “Pretty Hurts,” “Single Ladies,”  and “Who Runs The World,” it was hard to pick one Beyonce song to include in our women’s history month playlist in the end only one song could completely encapsulate Beyonce’s unique yet widely popular brand of empowerment and divadom: “Flawless.” Featuring a speech by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, “Flawless” touches on a new brand of feminism unique to Beyonce. Released as a part of her fifth studio album Beyonce’s “Flawless” has had a huge influence on pop culture from bumper stickers to baby onesies.

Alicia Keys-

Photo provided by Public Domain

“Girl on Fire”

Alicia Keys song “Girl On Fire” was the title track of her fifth album also titled Girl On Fire. Keys has begun to dip her toe into the pool of activism after the birth of her son Egypt in October 2010. Keys admits that motherhood has brought her closer to feminism and played a significant role in her decision to no longer wear makeup.

The Acorn • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in