The student news site of Radford High School

Bobcats Get Busy

A guide to snagging an afterschool job.

There’s another world outside of school that isn’t usually discovered, the job world. Getting a job can seem scary and new, but once the process takes off, the money and experience always makes it worth the time. The feeling when you get your first paycheck is exhilarating. While searching, you may be asking yourself “How do I know what type of job is the best for me?” There are many different types of jobs you can apply for, so make sure to find one that fits your personality and your schedule. For instance, if you don’t have significant people skills, don’t apply for a job where you have to interact with a lot of people.

It’s hard to find a job in such as small town like Radford, but it’s not impossible. If your local search fails, you can always venture outside of Radford and find a job in Christiansburg, Blacksburg, or Dublin. Grace Wohlford, junior, is a lifeguard at the Christiansburg Aquatic Center. Hours may vary, but she usually only works weekends and days off of school, which adds up to be about eight to ten hours a week. When finding a job, make sure the job you’re looking for has the hours available that are best for you.

Another type of job you can get is in the food industry, like McKenzie Pappas, junior, who works at Cold Stone Creamery here in Radford. Her work typically consists of working the cash register and serving and making ice cream, cookies, chocolate and cupcakes. Her hours are flexible and she usually works nights on the weekends, leaving plenty of time for extracurricular activities during the week. McKenzie highly recommends getting a job at Cold Stone, “Working at Cold Stone is a great first job, the people are really nice and work you through the job.”

If working to serve food isn’t for you, try working at a grocery store selling food. Nate Notebaert, senior works at Food Lion and loves it. “The best part of working at Food Lion is the fact that I get to work with my friends from school.” Nate happily works at Food Lion an average of eighteen hours a week.

While working at a corporation can offer more flexible hours, there are a lot of small businesses in Radford that need help as well. Oliver Lavery, junior, started working at The Medicine Shop about 4 weeks ago and usually works from 3:00 to 6:00. His favorite part of his job is to deliver medicine,” I like deliveries because I can listen to music in the car.”

When choosing a job, take these suggestions into consideration to ensure you’ll find an employment that’s right for you.

The Acorn • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in